Welcome to 2009!
I'm still writing 2008 every once in awhile on checks and at work but I think we are starting to settle into 2009. We celebrated Chinese New year and my mom even sent New Year's gifts for the kids. We went to a New Year's festival in Portland. They had dragon dancing, traditional dances performed by local Chinese dance schools, Kung Fu performances, and vocalists too. Sarah was a dancing fool and some Chinese families kept telling their little girls to dance by her. At first I didn't understand and then one man said "lucky girl" (luck is big on Chinese New Year) so Sarah was going to bring them good luck, great. Anyway it was really cute and she didn't care. I forgot my camera that day, sorry. Here is a picture with the kids and gifts from Oma and Opa, Thanks again!
The kids have been camping allot lately. My sister gave us her daughters pop-up tents awhile ago and the kids love them. They ask to eat lunch in them often and when I work the night shift daddy lets them camp out in the living room. They truly work together to make it fun. It's great to see them imagining and acting out the fun adventures they are having in far off lands!
We sit at the kitchen table to do crafts and homework. Aunt Molly had a birthday in Jan. and the kids really wanted to make her a card. Taylor thought uncle Seth would be sad that he didn't get a card so he said "He needs a card since it's aunt Molly's birthday and he'll be sad that it's not his birthday". I think this was referred pain from Sarah's birthday when Taylor realized that Sarah's birthday meant it wasn't his. I was able to help him sound out the words for Seth's card and he wrote them out. School has lost it's excitement but he is learning and it's fun to think he will be reading soon.
Both the kids love to "cook" that's if it involves sweet bowls that need to be licked clean. Cooking is great for math time. Sarah is great at her job: emptying the dish washer. Taylor's job was to feed the dog but that is on hold so Thad gave him a new job: taking the garbage out. I'm impressed that he is able to open the big lid on the outside can and heave the garbage bags into it. We haven't had a spill: yet! I read an article about age appropriate chores and our kids find such accomplishment on getting their family chores done. We love that we can teach them that to be a family we all work together to make our house work well. Taylor has been feeding our dog since he was 3 and has such a love for her.
Our dog is staying with Bob and Jessie (thank you guys!). She is staying with them since we have house guests with us downstairs and one of them is allergic to her. They have 2 girls from China so it's fun to see the kids all interacting. It's interesting to see Sarah interact with another 4yr old from China. The Lord knew she needed it. Taylor is getting used to being out numbered by girls and the older girl (8yr old) likes playing Lego's with him. I think we all know someone who has been hit hard by the housing market/recession. We've had only a few growing pains and Thad misses his downstairs but we believe that God gave us this house for His use and we felt that this is what he wanted it used for at this time. Who are we to tell Him no? I guess we could have but I know we would have missed out on the blessing too. Our pastor today talked about James 1: trails. Having a family living with us is not a "trial" but the kids are going through growing pains. I have confidence that these times of sharing toys, respecting others, talking nice to each other among other things will mold and shape them into who they will be. As we take time to guide, train and direct them in the ways they should go they are learning so much through this "trying time". The blessings: having play dates everyday, being able to run to the store without kids while the "other mama" watches kids, the graciousness of them to watch our kids while I'm working so I don't have to get the kids up at 5:45am to take them to the babysitter, in home movie rental (what a great collection they have), late night girl chats over tea before bed, etc.
No comments:
Post a Comment